Sunday, September 22, 2013

The next project

The year is rapidly drawing to an end.  Much to my surprise, autumn is here.  This is somewhat disconcerting as it means temperatures are dropping rapidly.  It is much too cold to prime in the winter here so I need to get things prepped in the fall so that I have stuff to paint over the winter.

This realization has thrown me into a frenzy of assembly.  In the last two weeks I've assembled 24 Auxiliary infantry for my EIR army.  I've also just completed 49 Romano Brits for Dux Brit or HC.  These were a late addition as I adjusted my plan back in July.

Gripping Beast
Romano British heroes for Dux Brit.  Arthur is in front, pointing with his sword.

The first models I assembled during The Frenzy were the Roman Auxiliaries for my EIR army.  I already have one and a half cohorts of these so this batch will bring the half up to strength and give me a third cohort.

Hail Caesar
A half cohort to reinforce my existing models.
My existing half cohort has a champion but no other command.  These guys are bringing the musician and standard for the unit.  The second cohort is the complete set.  These are Warlord models.  I like them well enough but if I add any more auxilliarys they will be from a different manufacturer.  I want some more variety in these guys as I think they probably had a lot more of their national character than these do.

Hail Caesar
The third cohort.  full command and all.
The next batch of models I only received on Thursday.  These guys are the Romano-Brit army from Too Fat Lardies.  The models are Gripping Beast.  I bought this army with the proceeds of some commission work I did, assembling armies for a local painter.  Like my Harad this makes them special to me, though I'm not sure why that is.  I guess I just like the thought of using the hobby to pay for the hobby; it certainly doesn't work that way most of the time.

Gripping Beast
Command/support models.
The starter army comes with a pretty good variety of models.  The three above are a musician, priest and standard bearer.  I made the banner pole out of brass rod and one of the spears in the set.  He could also be a standard hearth guard spearman.

Gripping Beast
Slingers.
Next up is four slingers.  Missile troops play a very minor role in the Dux Brit rules, hence only four.  These models are generic enough that I can use them with my HC EIR as well, which gives me a total of twelve slingers for that game if I choose.  The slings come separately from the models.

Gripping Beast
Elite troops.
 There are six elite troops.  Several of these would work well as heroes.  This is one place where the army seems to come up short.  I'll have to pick up a couple of packs of these to bulk this out.  I do like the variety on these, the individuality.  These seem like the best of the best.  Each man equipping himself as he sees fit.  I especially like the dude on the left who has a Roman cavalry mask on.

Gripping Beast
The rest of the army.
The rest of the army is twelve troops and twenty levies.  The picture of the levies didn't come out any better than this one, so there you go.  The levies are unarmored with bare heads.  The regulars have helmets but no armor.  These guys will make up the bulk of the army and do most of the dying.

I'll get all of these models primed, along with a couple others which will be shown only after they are painted.  This new project will have to wait until I wrap up the rest of my company for In Her Majesty's Name as well as the EIR I've had sitting on my desk for most of this year.  I'm looking forward to starting on these so perhaps that will motivate me to get the rest done.

6 comments:

  1. I would hate to have to do so much prep and not be able to do more for the winter.

    Nice looking figures though

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I agree, it's sort of a bummer. You get new minis and can't spray prime them. If you are desperate enough you can brush on primer, of course. I've never been that desperate though. Winter in Colorado is definitely my least favorite season.

      Delete
  2. Those are some nice looking figures there. Loads of detail and character. I always brush on primer and have never used spray. But I paint singles, not armies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a certain freedom in only working on one model, I would imagine. I think I have a bottle of primer somewhere. It might come to that at some point.

      Delete
  3. Great project! I JUST got in a game and we liked it so much, we moved right into campaign mode.

    BTW, this is not recommended but come winter, I prime in my basement in the utility room with the furnace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you guys liked it that much. It bodes well. I'm really looking forward to the campaign portion of it. I grew up in South Dakota. Priming in the furnace room seems like a totally reasonable thing to do in a Minnesota winter.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...