Monday, January 06, 2014

Painting Challenge VIII - Roger's Rangers

I've hit a double on this one.  I finished eight more models for the Analogue Painting Challenge and they are also my contribution to Bloggers for Charity.  These eight models were French and Indian War Rangers, which I painted as Roger's Rangers.
FIW Rangers
Eight Roger's Rangers.

Here's what I sent in to Curt, with the pictures:

  These eight models are rangers for my Bloggers for Charity contribution.  They were generously donated by the manufacturer, AW Miniatures, and shipped to me by Loki.  I had started these before the challenge, but only got as far as painting their faces.  Since I wasn’t all that happy with the primer on a couple of them anyway (it was splotchy/chunky) I stripped the lot and started over.
 
The three with berets.  Very fashionable.
I found these to be really hard to paint.  I had to do a lot of research to figure out the uniforms, or whether they were even going to have a uniform appearance.  In the end I decided to paint them up as Roger’s Rangers, since that is the most famous American ranger unit.  My sources seemed to have them in green jackets, but I mixed things up a little bit in other places. 
 
Side views.
By and large the castings are very nice but the muskets have some of the oddest flash on them that I’ve ever seen.  Two of these model’s muskets are the worst castings I’ve dealt with in a long time.  I did my best to cover the imperfections with paint but I’m not completely happy with my ability to cover the casting errors.

Now that they are done I’m very happy with them.  Painting these was a bit like free association.  I was just unable to develop a plan so I started slapping paint on until I realized they were done.  Future units will be easier, if I ever get into FIW.

These are unbased as Loki will be taking care of the basing to ensure a uniform appearance, on that front at any rate.  Loki, if there is anything you want me to change on these, you have a few days until I’ll be able to get them mailed across the pond to you.






These two are my favorites of the poses I was sent.


I have got to figure out how to use my camera better.
After these were done I hand painted on gloss varnish, followed by satin varnish.  It's way too cold here for spray varnish and I couldn't risk any fogging, even if it wasn't.  I'll have to get these packed and shipped to Loki this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...